The Behemoth & The Research Centaur are looking for two people: one to help build up our game and the other to beat our games up to make them better! Come join our team in San Diego, California! If you’re interested in learning more, check out the job descriptions below:
If you write super awesome code, we want you to work with us!
The senior programmer will be responsible for supporting existing game and engine systems, concentrating on networking systems (matchmaking and multiplayer communication). In addition, the role involves working with game designers to implement new features and tools, possibly outside of networking. We’re looking for someone who can come up to speed quickly and start contributing to current products out of the gate, and someone who can help create a foundation for future products.
What have you done, and what are you good at?
- You have five or more years of programming experience in the game industry, primarily C++, with at least two shipped console titles under your belt. Experience with Xbox One or Steam is preferred.
- You have experience with networking systems and have worked with matchmaking services such as those provided by platform holders for Steam and Xbox One.
- You are highly motivated and willing to take initiative to get things done.
- You are interested in game design and might have designed games yourself.
- You are able to quickly understand a complex codebase; you can figure out how the pieces fit together and how to make changes that fit into existing systems.
- You can communicate in a clear and positive way with co-workers with varying degrees of programming knowledge.
- You design and code for testability and work well with Quality Assurance personnel to produce a game with high quality.
- Ideally, you have some experience with Adobe Flash.
- You have an excellent eye for detail and a high standard of quality.
What will you be doing?
- Becoming familiar with an existing codebase and maintaining existing networking systems, particularly matchmaking, but also voice chat and multiplayer gameplay code.
- Participating in game design discussions to come up with new ideas.
- Communicating with designers to work out how new features fit into the existing game.
- Working with QA to make sure existing features continue to work and new features work as expected.
- Suggesting and implementing improvements to make the code more maintainable, testable, portable, and flexible.
Interested? Apply to jobs[at]thebehemoth[dot]com
QA Test Lead
The Behemoth/The Research Centaur is looking for a QA Lead! This person will need to assist in helping plan and test The Behemoth games from start to finish as well as working with various external client titles through The Research Centaur. We need someone with strong communication and team management skills as well as a strong focus on independence and innovation within the department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic Planning & Project Management
- Develop and design complete black box Functional test plans and test case sets. Primarily responsible for test success of games, mobile applications, and websites for PC, Xbox 360/One, PlayStation 3/4/Vita, and tablet/mobile devices (iOS), based on risk-based testing best practices.
- Work with test specialists to integrate advanced testing plans and track/maintain testing schedules for assigned projects, syncing with and communicating to production.
- Create budgets and maintain accurate QA headcount estimates and staffing requests/adjustments for assigned projects.
- Maintain testing priorities based on risk and per-build changelists (as provided), and communicate priorities to team via assignments.
- Development of new QA services for The Centaur to keep up with industry trends.
- Oversight and execution of external client onboarding and test plans including prioritizing schedules and resources.
Leadership & Staff Development
- Track and guide individual performance for all assigned testers.
- Primarily responsible for project morale and team building activities for assigned projects.
- Responsible for proactive development of staff.
Reporting & Communication
- Create, update, and provide test status, risk, and confirmation reports at defined frequencies for assigned projects. Create and maintain all reports for client and The Behemoth projects, including client portals, weekly status updates, meetings, etc.
- Maintain excellent e-mail, phone, and in-person communication as the primary contact for clients, production staff, and other project stakeholders on the assigned projects.
- Write and/or supervise writing of project test cases/testware.
- Direct test execution and tester activities on assigned projects on a daily basis.
- Provide post-release support
- Work with test specialists to integrate advanced test execution (compliance, automation, compatibility, etc.) as needed.
- Review all incoming defects from assigned testers at high level of proficiency.
- Execute tests and document defects with high level of clarity and proficiency.
- Demonstrates excellent command of written language; excellent command of spelling and basic English-language grammar; Demonstrates ability to effectively review and edit defects.
- Demonstrates expert command of Functional black box testing, test plan design, and bug writing best practices.
- Demonstrates expert command of budget, headcount, and KPI reporting/tracking.
- Demonstrates ability to take on leadership and mentoring of a team of 6+ individuals.
- Demonstrates ability to adjust test plans and schedules on the fly and deal with high-pressure, rapidly changing environment.
- Familiarity with platform tools required to perform basic test functions.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience/college-level coursework/professiona training/certification in related field highly preferred.
- 3+ years QA experience or 4+ shipped titles with QA credits. Inclusion as core member of a game test team (Senior or Lead level tester) highly preferred.
Not Required, But Highly Preferred
- Tradeshow experience (PAX, Comic-con etc.).
- Can lift a max of 50 pounds and/or works with tools and electronics.
- Enjoys playing indie games and gaming in general.
If you have additional or unusual abilities, please be sure to let us know. Please send your resume and any other materials you feel are important to jobs[at]theresearchcentaur[dot]com. We will keep your materials on-file and will contact you if we feel you are a good fit for us.